Terrain. This set of walls gives my terrain set, small pieces that accent the larger pieces giving low areas of obstruction and cover around the battlefield. They are separate from the bigger pieces to allow them to have flexibility from games to game. I used the balcony sections from the Games Workshop modular terrain with lots of rubble and plants. I especially like the door that has been hastily laid across a breach best seen on the left side of the first picture.
Themed terrain. all these terrain pieces came together to have a strong industrial feel. This was helped by the very cool steam train bits that i was able to use. The long pieces of pipe on several of the pieces provide low cover and help stretch the pieces horizontally across the board. While most of the terrain is low, the double small building and the last piece offer some interesting height variation.
A few more minis to fill the village.
A Fenryll farm hand as a street vendor, selling giant tomatoes.
Also, a Reaper water bearer from their Zodiac series, and another towsfolk with a broom. The Reaper townsfolk are a joy to paint, lots of character, without being too fiddly.
Rehabbing part 2.
I broke all of the glue joins and re-glued them. I also added this 1/8” brick line to the foundation, to pick that side up. That seems to have straightened this one out. It was looking pretty dire, might of had to pitch this and start over.
These two pieces of terrain were some of the first I made with the Games Workshop modular kits. They were odds and ends left overs from some larger buildings I had constructed. The corner piece doesn’t make a lot of sense as the balcony and door come out to the building. I made most of the balconies from both pieces out of plastruct diamond plate with buttresses from the GW sprue as supports. The sand bags are green stuff squished between thumb and index finger into a rectangle and scored with a knife for the seem. There were 134 of them (some have snapped off). A lot of the railing on the tower was left off because I had intended to build bridge between pieces. That has yet to happen.
To illustrate a point I made in my last post. thestonecuttersguild has some amazing terrain. Here is a couple of pictures of the streets where he shows off many levels of foliage to bring his world to life.
Finishing terrain with small details makes it come to life. Unless your terrain is a sterile sci fi world then consider adding plants and growth to whatever you build. For my 40K terrain I decided to add four layers of plants. First was large leaf vertical plants. These are similar to fish tank plants and I was lucky to get a large quantity for free. I drilled holes in the masonite and hot glued them in. This gave them good stability and the hot glue is fairly easily hidden. The second set of plants were clump foliage from Woodland scenics. I got the medium green and looking back its too similar to the large leafy plants but it still looks pretty good. I glued the clump foliage in with Woodland scenic spray glue, if you use it soak it really well and it work great. Don’t be afraid to use two coats after you check if the first coat held. Next the tall grass was fun to install. It comes as a product from woodland scenics in several different colors but I found that an inexpensive chip brush can be cut down to provide a nice stiff version. Chip brushes are cheap. I dipped the clump in wood glue and let is soak into into it, make sure to watch to see each clump you set doesn’t fall over before the glue dries. Lastly static grass added the large area grass which is common and really ties the terrain together with the other pieces as well as the board. I like the autumn grass which is a little more brown setting it off from all my green plants.